As one of the world’s leading analytical instrumentation companies, Bruker covers a broad spectrum of advanced solutions in all fields of research and development. All our systems and instruments are designed to improve safety of products, accelerate time-to-market and support industries in successfully enhancing quality of life. We’ve been driving innovation in analytical instrumentation for 50 years now. Today, worldwide more than 6,000 employees are working on this permanent challenge, at over 70 locations on all continents.
The function of the Service and Support Engineer is to provide expert hands-on technical expertise in all aspects of installation, commissioning, basic customer training, maintenance, fault-finding and customer support in respect of the company’s products.
The primary objective is to be an efficient and effective member of the Customer Service team in delivering highly competent, effective and focussed engineering and technical support to the customer base to achieve maximum customer satisfaction and to further the professional image of the Company.
Working as a member of the Service Team involved in the installation, maintenance, service and technical support of our range of instrumentation, duties will include:
· Familiarisation with specific instrumentation prior to installation from issued documentation and/or participation in the final testing process in the factory
· Liaise with customers and colleagues in the site planning process prior to installation
· Inspect, install, set up, test and achieve specifications of systems and accessories at customers’ sites, and deliver basic operator training
· Carry out breakdown and planned maintenance at customers’ sites
· Provide technical support and assistance to customers and to colleagues, either directly or by remote diagnosis
· Carry out procedures necessary to validate systems to certifiable standards
· Provide technical input to the sales team in non-routine sales cases
· Frequent travel within the UK & Ireland is an essential part of the job. Occasional travel to customer sites abroad is also expected.
Activities will cover all products manufactured or represented by the Company. Specialism in products and technologies relating in particular to Solids NMR will form an additional responsibility that will make use of acquired skills and experience. Accurate record keeping and timely submission of documentation is pre-requisite.
Duties will be carried out mainly in the UK & Ireland, however it is expected that requirements to provide field service support on customers’ premises abroad or at the factory will be required on an occasional basis.
The position reports to the Team Leader, who will agree expectations, set day-to-day priorities, offer guidance as necessary and provide framework support.
The position is based at a location that is deemed by the Company to be convenient to the customer base, and for travelling as necessary to our factories abroad.
To carry out the duties to the level expected, the minimum competencies are:
· outgoing and good at building relationships through inspiring trust and confidence
· a professional image and a very high standard of personal presentation
· self-motivation and a willingness to work with others toward a shared goal
· the ability to contribute to a team effort, yet to accept responsibility for an individual role within the team
· excel at continual learning in a rapidly advancing technological area.
· a tertiary level qualification in electrical or electronic engineering, physics or a related discipline or be able to demonstrate a similar level of knowledge and skill gained by practical experience in the Magnetic Resonance field.
· a solid technical or scientific background gained in industry or academia
· a current driving licence valid in the UK
· no visa or other restriction preventing travel in the USA or EU.
· the capacity to take responsibility for the complete installation and commissioning of sophisticated instrumentation and to instruct users in its basic operation
· ability to diagnose causes of malfunction and to actively resolve customers’ service problems
· good computer literacy, including familiarity with data system hardware and industry standard operating systems
· the ability to communicate effectively at all levels with good spoken and written English.
The achievement of set objectives, training requirements and further career development possibilities will be assessed on an annual basis.
This JDE cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key objectives.